There are many different materials to create jewellery. For every item we select, it is not only about the quality but also the most fitting material. That's why we only focus on three main types of materials: stainless steel, silver 925 and gold plated.
1. Stainless steel
Stainless steel is one of the primary metals used in making jewellery. It is a mixture of carbon, iron and other metal elements that contain at least 10.5% chromium. All of our jewellery from stainless steel are 100% nickel free (a metal that can cause allergies to skin)
The high percent of chromium offers this material a strength and capacity to resists corrosion after exposure to air. Thus, jewellery made from this material:
- Highly durable that can withstand the wear and tear of everyday activities
- Resist scratches and corrosion/ oxidation.
- Can last for many years with a shiny appearance
- Easy to maintain
- Budget friendly
- The material is hard and rigid, making it challenging for jewellers to set gemstones or create bending shape.
- Not a precious metal or not hold a monetary value
2. Sterling silver
Silver is a precious metal that is shiny and bright. In its pure form, silver is soft and easily squashed and stretched. To make silver jewellery more durable, sterling silver is developed from a mixture with copper. Sterling silver contains 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% copper.
- Timeless, trendy and precious.
- Highly reflective so very shiny if it is maintained well
- Inexpensive compared to other precious metals: gold and platinum
- Antibacterial properties
- Previous metal
- Require regular clean to remain the shining
- Sensitive to chemicals from skin care products
- Softer and less durable than stainless steel
3. Gold plated
Gold plating is a process that deposits a very thin layer of gold over another metal. It can be done on most metals: brass, stainless steel, silver and copper. Of these, silver and copper are the most commonly used.
It should be noticed that gold plating is real gold but because of how little gold is used, such jewellery doesn’t hold the value of gold.
- Affordable but look fancy
- Durable thanks to the base metal layer
- Tarnishing: over time, the base metal will eventually come to the surface, causing the metal and gold to discolor.
- So, requires proper maintenance to keep its shine
What is the best choice?
This is totally up to you. Make sure to select the ones that fits your wishes, taste and budget!
Still wonder about choosing the right materials? You can contact us per email or social media so we can give you some advice and answer more of your questions!